The digital marketing landscape is shifting, and it is happening at an incredible speed. Social media is affecting not only the way we connect with friends and the brands we like, but it is also now affecting the way we shop and search for things online. Here’s my list of must-reads.
- Social media has opened the door for marketers to be able to engage in a two-way conversation with brands. Brands are now realizing that they need to be using social media to build long-lasting relationships with consumers. That’s why Diageo has made Facebook a central part of all of its marketing going forward. (Ad Age)
- Everyone is very focused on Google. But the search world is bigger than just Google. (Search Engine Land)
- Bing is letting shoppers tag their Facebook friends when they conduct shopping-related searches using the search engine. This is another indication of where the market is going. Consumers’ natural instinct is to tap into the collective wisdom of their friends, to help make a purchase decision. Bing has taken a step in the right direction, helping facilitate this behavior. Something like this could even give its search share a bump. (Internet Retailer)
- The opportunities are endless, but online video hasn’t been living up to its promise. With TV buyers now including digital video as an extension of their video ad buys, the market should see a bump in spend. (MediaPost)
- The Daily might end up pulling it out, but things are looking bleak. It could go down as a cautionary tale of a media upstart that put all its eggs in one basket. (PaidContent)